Graduate Certificate in Project Management
Learn the practical realities of project management with this flexible, fully online qualification. Get the technical skills to plan and deliver projects from beginning to end, work constructively with other people, and work as a project manager in a wide range of industries.
Our Graduate Certificate in Project Management will set you up with the specialist knowledge and tools needed to manage a wide range of projects.
The drive for constant business innovation has led to increasing demand for qualified project managers to work in New Zealand and overseas, typically in sectors such as IT, government and consulting firms, as well as the emerging 'gig economy'.
These agile professionals are responsible for effectively leading teams of people and delivering on all aspects of a new project, from planning and logistics through to finance and technology. Their task is to achieve outcomes that will add value to business and improve performance.
Pay for project managers varies greatly according to their experience and which industry they work in, but the median salary in the IT sector is $125,000 a year. (Source: Trade Me Salary Guide).
Who is this course suitable for?
The GradCertPM is a short, specialised qualification taught at an advanced undergraduate level; which can be completed over 4 to 12 months.
The course is ideal for anyone who already has a bachelor's degree and wishes to broaden their skillset by adding another qualification that will help them stand out in the competitive job market - while enjoying the flexibility of online study.
It is also suitable for people already working in roles where project work is common, but who lack any relevant professional training in this field.
Our students have the opportunity to gain industry certification from the Project Management Institute (PMI) by sitting an external exam to become a Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM).
What the programme is like:
The programme is delivered completely online using a leading-edge web platform, giving you the freedom to study from home, the beach, or anywhere you like! You can complete all four papers in as little as one trimester (four months), or study part-time at your own pace over a longer period.
Get to grips with the fundamental tools and techniques required to manage diverse projects, before developing your practical competencies through simulated real-world learning experiences.
The course consists of mini-lectures, short videos, readings, case studies, interactive activities, and much more. Students will receive a high level of personalised web-based support to maximise their chances of success.
The GradCertPM has been carefully structured so that each paper contributes to the student's overall theoretical and practical knowledge. In the final capstone paper, students can apply everything they have learned to real-world project management scenarios.This paper pulls together many of the issues faced in managing actual projects.
Learn from the experts
Our academics at the University of Waikato have international research expertise in the field of project management. We have developed this course in consultation with practising project managers in New Zealand to ensure the content is up-to-date and industry-focused.
You'll be studying at Waikato Management School, which is New Zealand's #1 ranked business school in the Times Higher Education Subject Rankings 2022 & 2023.
A bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in any subject, with at least a B-minus grade average across the 300-level papers.
If you do not have a bachelor's degree, you can still be considered for admission to the GradCertPM based on academic merit and relevant experience. Please speak to one of our advisors in the Management Student Centre, email [email protected]
|Months:||4 months (full-time) or 9 months+ (part-time)|
|Start Dates:||November (Trimester C), February (Trimester A), and July (Trimester B)|
|Estimated Fees* (Domestic):||
2023: NZ$3,552 approx (per programme)
See if you're eligible for fees-free study in your first year
|Estimated Fees* (International):||2023: NZ$16,364 approx (per programme)|
|Entry Requirements:||Postgraduate International|
|Area of Study:|
|*Tuition fees shown are indicative only and may change. There are additional fees and charges related to enrolment please see the Table of Fees and Charges for more information. You will be sent an enrolment agreement which will confirm your fees.|
Degree planner — GradCert in Project Management
- Required paper
- Capstone paper
Expand to read entry requirements
- To enrol in the Graduate Certificate in Project Management, you normally need to have completed a bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in any subject, with at least a B-minus grade average across the 300 level papers in your final year of study.
- Please note that if you don't already have a degree, you can still be considered for admission to the GradCertPM based on academic merit and relevant experience. Please speak to one of our advisors in the Management Student Centre for assistance.
- We encourage students to complete the paper MGSYS101 Integrated Thinking: Digital Business and Supply Chain Management.
- To complete the GradCertPM, students must pass 60 points at 300 level in these four compulsory papers:
Scholarships and prizes
Visit our Scholarship Finder for information about possible scholarships
Expand to read practical skills
Students will develop a wide range of skills and personal attributes through completion of the Graduate Certificate in Project Management:
- A comprehensive understanding of the project management environment
- Applied understanding of project management tools and techniques
- Ability to observe, diagnose, think critically and creatively
- Can identify new opportunities to add value to an organisation's performance
- Be innovative and adaptable to change, with a good eye for detail
- Able to identify risks and issues that could impact on projects, and apply a systems or holistic approach to solve problems
- Have a clear understanding of project deliverables, and meet project goals on time
- Understand how to develop and implement new business processes
- Be able to manage budgets and project timelines
- Able to work well under pressure, with strong organisational skills
- Excellent skills in communication, negotiation, and conflict resolution
- Strong leadership and decision-making skills
- Ability to successfully manage relationships with senior leadership, key stakeholders and project team members.
Expand to read Course content
- In the first paper, Business Operations in Project Management, students will develop a broad understanding of the typical business context, processes, concepts, issues and practices in which project management takes place, from both a strategic and operational perspective.
- In the second paper, Fundamentals of Project Management, students will develop basic mastery of computer-based tools and techniques for managing projects, and gain hands-on experience of using them in realistic scenarios.
- The third paper, Project Management in Practice, takes a practical approach to learning from case study examples of success and failure, both in New Zealand and overseas. Students will identify the challenges faced in real-world projects, with a strong emphasis on the human element of project management.
- The fourth paper, Applied Project Management. This is the capstone paper for the Graduate Certificate in Project Management. The paper takes a case-based approach to apply students' learnings from the other project management papers and explore their relevance to real-world projects. From this, students will gain an appreciation of typical project challenges and success factors.
General Enquiries: 0800 WAIKATO
Waikato Management School
Email: [email protected]
Have a chat with one of our friendly advisers to help you plan your degree.
Phone: +64 7 838 4610
Email: [email protected]